Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Canadian Idol Top 8 Review by janeyfan

July 30th Recap. Unplugged acoustic. Enrique Iglesias was the guest mentor this week.

Martha Joy sang True Colors by Cyndi Lauper - I felt there were a few nice moments but there were a lot of rough parts as far as her tone goes. I didn't really get too excited about her performance. She's not a bad singer she just doesn't have that special something that makes me look forward to seeing her perform each week.. The Judges said that they weren't feeling her performance, another said it was good, was her style of singing, they mentioned a horrible note she hit in the middle and Zach called her the Little Mermaid.

Dwight D'eon sang Every Breathe You Take by the Police - I felt he hit some really bad notes some of his performance was good but another one where I didn't really get too excited. The Judges thought that parts were good, wasn't the greatest,another said it was great, terrific even. The majority though didn't really think it was all that.

Jaydee Bixby sang Time of Your Life by Greenday - I felt that it was really predictable. More of his fake country accent singing a song that he made to sound *I know this is hard to believe* Country. He didn't really seem to get the emotions behind the song. It was just like he was up here singing and not really getting into the song. It lacked any emotion. The Judges said that it wasn't an honest performance. Zach again voiced his extreme dislike of a fake southern accent for Canadians singing country. Sass actually said that it was an unpredictable approach (seriously does she even pay attention?). Another judge said that he had stuck to his roots but had showed too many flaws this week.

Tara Oram sang Heaven by Bryan Adams - I felt that she had improved a bit over the past weeks we have seen her. I actually enjoyed her performance. However I still don't think she is in the same league as Greg Neufeld or Carly Rae Jepsen. The judges felt that she had a strong start but it fell apart, she didn't hit all the notes, it was a shaky performance that needed more control but that she hit a good note at the end.

Brian Melo sang She Talks To Angels by The Black Crows - I felt for the most part it was too rough and his voice cracked too much for my liking. The beginning was pretty good but the end was not so hot for me. The Judges said that it was intense, powerful, fantastic, killer, one of them even went so far as to say that they liked it better than the original (was Jake Gold btw) I wouldn't go that far sorry.

Matt Rapley sang Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers - I felt that it wasn't too bad. At one point during the song it sounded like he ran out of breath. I didn't like how he sat on a chair the whole time and didn't really get into the song. He and Jaydee both seemed to be just singing a song without really getting the emotions that you needed to sing their songs. I think that Matt has a nice tone to his voice he just needs to step it up and perform with emotion and conviction. The Judges said that he has a beautiful voice and tone but needs to step it up. He is the most gifted they have ever had on the show but he needs to dig deeper.

Carly Rae Jepsen sang Torn by Natalie Imbruglia - I actually liked her performance this week. Shocker for sure. When she sang in her deeper voice I really liked it. Her high little girl voice grates on my nerves apparently. It was nice to hear her sounding more mature. She really got into the song and portrayed the emotions it was meant to make the listener feel. The Judges said it was raw, fantastic, beautiful, vulnerable and unforgettable. They told her she was a true contender and Jake Gold said it gave him goosebumps.

Greg Neufeld sang I'm Ready by Bryan Adams. - I will try to be impartial each week with Greg since he is by far my favorite of the bunch and my pick to win. With that being said I felt that I love the tone of his voice, he really got deep inside the song and truly felt what the song writer wanted to portray with his song. I felt Greg was the best of the night with Carly Rae being a very close 2nd. The Judges said that nobody was in his league tonight, it was a phenomenal performance, fantastic, natural and that he has the whole package.

Winner of the night in my opinion and I think in the Judges as well is Greg ;D..

The person I think should be eliminated is Dwight D'eon or Jaydee. I think they are both great guys but they just aren't at the level that some of the others are.. :(

by janeyfan

No comments: