Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Canadian Idol Sept. 3rd Recap


The top 3 performed 2 songs tonight. The first song was picked by the judges and the second song was picked by viewers through an online poll.

Jaydee Bixby was up first. The judges chose Break it to Them Gently by Burton Cummings.

I am sooo very glad that he didn't do an Elvis impersonation this week. He did a really good job with the vocals. This was a huge improvement over the past few weeks. I was very glad to see him be himself and not imitate anyone.
The Judges said it was the best thing he'd done, fine job, fantastic job, that song could be a hit song for him, real Jaydee, good job.

The fans chose Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash for Jaydee's 2nd song.

I was really worried that he would try and copy cat Johnny's voice and style. I was pleasantly surprised however. Jaydee made it his own and used his own voice, which is actually quite nice. This is one of my favorite performances from Jaydee. Was a very good night for him.
The Judges were also glad he didn't imitate anyone, they liked the higher register, they said he sang well, stayed true to himself and that it was a fun performance.

Brian Melo was next. The Judges chose Whiter Shade of Pale by Purple Harem.

I really liked this performance. His voice sounded awesome through out the song and he was very charismatic as usual.
The Judges said he captured the essence of song, was really well done, he was a born performer, he's got it, didn't disappoint, got chills.

The fans chose Live's Lightening Crashes for Brian's 2nd song.
I liked the beginning but the middle was a little rough for me. I also did not like the background vocals on this song. They really need to get rid of them. Overall though I think he did a good job.
The Judges said it was explosive, good job, sounded super tired. Zach said that Brian left the game wide open after that performance.

Carly Rae Jepsen was last but not least. The Judges chose Janis Ian's At Seventeen.

I actually liked her performance. Her little girl voice didn't overwhelm me. She did a really good job.
The Judges said it was pretty perfect, very moving, perfect song for her, she showed vulnerability, wonderful, beautiful heartfelt performance.

The fans chose Dido's White Flag for Carly's 2nd song.
I liked that she changed it up a bit and didn't do an imitation. I think that her first performance was better. However, she did a really good job on this song. In my opinion this was her best week to date.
The Judges really enjoyed it, the said it was really fun, stellar performance, sang really well and good vocal performance.

Tomorrow is a special 1 hour results show. There will be performances from past Canadian Idol winners. Then of course next week we will see who is the next Idol winner.

This week I give props to all 3 idols. They really stepped up and did a great job. My pick to win is still Brian Melo. So as long as he doesn't go home tomorrow I will be happy with the results.

No comments: