Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Canadian Idol Performance Show Aug 27th

Each of the top 4 Idol hopefuls sang 2 songs this week and their special guest star mentor was Paul Anka. Only 2 more weeks before Canada crowns their next Canadian Idol.


Carly Rae Jepsen's first song was My Heart Belongs to Daddy by Ella Fitzgerald.
I didn't like it at all. At times she reminded me of Marilyn Monroe. You know that breathy sorta singing. For me it just was not good at all. Horrible.
However the Judges loved it saying it was her kinda thing, nice performance, best she has done all season, Zach was a bit less enthusiastic about it saying needed to sizzle more and that it was just okay.

Carly's second song was I've Got it Bad and That Ain't Good by Mel Torme.

I felt it was better than the first but still I really didn't like it at all. During some of the more emotional parts of the song it sounded like high pitched whining and I wanted to change the channel badly.
Once again the Judges ate it up. They called it vulnerable and emotional, she sold the song, really believable, fantastic rendition and killer.


Jaydee Bixby's first song was Fever.. The Elvis Presley Version.
I felt that it was just not the right song for him. The song takes a lot of sensuality and serious emotion. Jaydee doesn't have that kind of vibe. Predictably he turned it into another Elvis impersonation even down to the leg twitch and facial expressions. Other than the leg twitch he just kinda stood there singing and working really hard at not smiling.
The Judges said he didn't look comfortable, Zach told him to leave the competition and go to Nashville, bad groove, at least he didn't smile.

Jaydee's second song was When Your Smiling by Louis Prima.

Ugh another Elvis impersonation. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Elvis but I am getting a little bored of each week it being the same thing for Jaydee. I understand that he likes Elvis but you can still sound country without sounding the same on every song. His leg twitching and facial expressions were annoying. He danced with one of the backup dancers and looked ummm dorky. His vocals aren't bad but he really does not belong in this comp. Fly him to Vegas Idol please.
The Judges said it was a believable performance, looked like he had fun, really good job, killer, old school, Zach said that when America discovers you your gonna blow up (I think he is very wrong but we shall see), they were impressed and overall thought he did a good job.

Brian Melo's first song was Mack the Knife.. The Robbie Williams version.
I thought he had a smooth sound in this song and it was really nice. I enjoyed the performance. He was enthusiastic and his vocals were right on.
The Judges were very impressed as well saying the performance had attitude, looked like a star, loving what he just did. Zach said there were some weak moments but there were some really cool moments.

Brian's second song was Feeling Good by Michael Buble.

Another wonderful performance. He has lots of personality and his voice is nice. I like it best when it is raspy but he seems pretty versatile.
The Judges said he owned the stage, was a great performance and Zach said he sees the winner of Idol and it's Brian.


Dwight D'eon's first song was I Get a Kick Out of You by Frank Sinatra.
He looked very very uncomfortable and nervous. There were some really rough moments. Actually I have to say the whole thing was rough for me. He does not have a crooners voice. It was shaky and bad.
The Judges didn't see him as a crooner either, it wasn't his thing and didn't look like he was having fun, told him to relax and appreciated the effort.

Dwight's second song was Unforgettable by Nat King Cole

Anyone see a problem already?? When I heard he was singing this I knew it was a very bad decision on his part. There were lots of songs to choose from. There had to be something that was more suited to his voice or type of singing. Basically I have the same comments for this performance as I did his first. It was very rough, shaky and just plain icky. This is definitely not his week.
The Judges said it was a valiant effort, don't know if he will be here next week. Most didn't comment on his vocals they choose the easy way out and commented on how nice he looked. That annoys me a lot. When they talk about the clothes or shoes a person is wearing instead of the important part.. The vocals...

In my opinion Dwight should go home this week. And again Brian is my pick to win.

No comments: